Asthma is a chronic disease that affects the air passage by inflaming the walls of the airways making breathing an uphill task. Home remedies for Asthma are easier than you ever imagine!Asthma can be of allergic or non-allergic nature. Allergic asthma is caused by airborne allergens like dust mites, mold, pollen, pet dander or allergic reaction to something ingested like strawberries while non-allergic asthma is caused by triggers that irritate the lungs and bring on asthma symptoms that have nothing to do with allergies. Asthma can be mild, acute or chronic.
Signs of Asthma
Someone with asthma has the following symbols and signs;
- Wheezing or whistling sound
- Shortness of breath
- Chest tightness
- Difficulty in breathing
- Frequent coughing
- Uneasiness in breathing
6 Best Natural Remedies for Asthma
When you are at home and an asthma attack occurs, do not panic just close your eyes and make a mirror vision of you inhaling. Here are a few home remedies for asthma that will help you.
Ginger as studies indicates, reduce airway inflammation and prevents airways from closing. This is because it contains compounds that act as relaxants. Here is how you use ginger at home;
- Mix one tablespoon of ground ginger in one and a half cups of water and take one tablespoon of this mixture at bedtime. Alternatively,
- Cut one inch of ginger into small pieces and add it to a pot of boiling water. Finally, take a tablespoon of the mixture at bedtime.
2. MUSTARD OIL
When an asthma attack occurs take that mustard oil and massage yourself around the chest area and your back.
- Heat some mustard oil with a little camphor.
- Transfer it to a bowl and when it’s comfortably warm, gently rub it on the chest, upper back and gently massage.
- Repeat the process several times, until the symptoms subside.
- Boil two to three cloves in one and a quarter cup of water or preferably milk.
- Allow it to cool then drink it.
Coffee especially hot one helps one relax. It clear the airways to help you breathe easier, the stronger the coffee the better the results. Black tea can act as an alternative if coffee is not readily available
5. EUCALYPTUS OIL
Pure eucalyptus oil is an effective treatment for asthma because of its decongestant properties. It can help break up mucus in the airway.
- First of all, put a few drops of eucalyptus oil in a paper tissue and lay it beside your head as you are going to sleep at night so that you inhale its aroma or put a few drops in your tea so that it decongestants your chest.
- If you want faster results you can put a few drops into hot water and inhale.
Take 5 to 6 cloves and boil them in a half glass of water, add a spoon of honey. Take it two times a day for best results.
Alternatively, you can use this 3 different remedies at home to minimize asthma;
Stress can trigger asthma. Breathing exercise used in yoga have been known to control breathing and relieve stress.
See other exercises to get rid of back pain.
- Asthma Diet
There are foods known to trigger asthma if you have that particular food allergy. Just avoid foods that you are allergic to.
- Herbs and natural dietary supplements
Before using any herbs consult with your doctor as they can be dangerous as they have no definite dosage.
Heavy feeling in the chest? Check it out hurry, Home Remedies for Chest Congestion
Asthma Treatment for Children
Asthma is becoming increasingly common in infants statistics showing ratio 1:10. This has been a worry to many scientists trying to dig up the cause with no success. In 2013, 7.1 million children were diagnosed with the disease, this is double to the number the study revealed in 1980.Here are a few things you do at home to help your child avoid that asthma attack;
- Maintain low humidity at home
Ensure that the atmosphere is dry. If you live in a humid environment try devices that keep the atmosphere drier.
- Keep the air inside clean
Check your air conditioning system to make sure they are working well; if not so do replacements.
- Reduce pet dander
If your child has an allergy caused by pet dander then it’s best that pets with feathers and fur be avoided.
- Clean regularly
Ensure that your house is clean to get rid of dust and allergens.
Home Remedies for Asthma Attacks in Adults
- It helps alleviate breathing problems.
- Wash three dried figs and soak them in a cup of water overnight.
- In the morning, eat the soaked figs and drink the fig water on an empty stomach.
Consume a teaspoon of honey mixed in hot water at least 2 to 3 times a day or alternatively mix one teaspoon with a half teaspoon of cinnamon powder and have it before bedtime.
They help clear the air passages, so consume a lot raw or in a salad or use it to cook your foods.
4.Fruits and lemon
You can take it raw or put in hot water for the case of a lemon also take lots of fruits.
Asthma Remedies During Pregnancy
When a pregnant woman does not take caution of asthma then she increases chances of getting high blood pressure and the risk to a fetus are:
- Abnormally slow growth of the fetus.
- Birth before 37 weeks of the pregnancy.
- Low birth weight
- Death before or immediately after birth.
Here is what a pregnant woman can do to minimize asthma attacks;
Yoga helps the body relax and you can best avoid asthma triggered by stress.
Lemon is best used in warm water, only a cup is enough for a pregnant woman.
Quick Tips for Asthma Relief
- Use omega-3 fatty acids found in fatty fish as they work like asthma drugs.
- Decrease protein intake and substitute animal protein with plant proteins.
- Avoid the use of milk and other milk-related products substituting with calcium sources.
- Make it a habit of eating grown fruits and vegetables as much as possible.
- Use extra-virgin olive oil as your main fat.
Asthma can be controlled by first identifying the trigger and working to avoid it.
So these are the natural remedies for Asthma. These methods are very useful, but in case you do not get the proper result by the DIY remedies for Asthma, it is suggested to visit a doctor.