A stuffy nose can be irritating. It will not allow you to give your best in your job, study or regular household work. You sound strange while talking, your nose leaks and you might also have a fever and head pain due to your stuffy nose. So stuffy nose is annoying, but it is not necessary to take pills or visit a doctor during a stuffed nose. The remedies given below are showing you how to get rid of a stuffy nose.
What causes a stuffy nose
A stuffy nose occurs due to the presence of too much mucus in your nasal passage. The following reasons can cause a stuffy nose:
- Cold Flu
- Swine flu
- Nose Injury
- Dust Allergy
- Food Allergy
- Nasal polyps
- Common cold
- Allergic Rhinitis
- Sinus infections
- Deviated Septum
- Cluster Headache
- Respiratory Syncytial Virus Infection
- Absence of Gamma Globulins in Blood
7 best Home remedies to get rid of a stuffy nose
- Garlic: Garlic has the natural anti-fungal and antiviral properties that can fix your respiratory infection. Garlic is one of the best home remedies for diminishing your nasal congestion.
- Step 1: Take a bowl of water and three to four cloves of garlic with it.
- Step 2: Now boil the mixture and drink it.
Note: You need to take garlic during the whole period of your stuffy nose. You can mix half or one teaspoon of turmeric powder for a different kind of taste. You can also eat fresh raw garlic if you can stand the taste of it.
- Nasal Irrigation: This method is painful but very effective home remedies for getting rid of a stuffy nose. It helps to wash the mucus from your nasal passage and turn on the natural breathing system.
- Step 1: Take a cup of warm distilled water and one teaspoon of salt.
- Step 2: Now mix the salt into hot water.
- Step 3: Take an irrigation tool such as squeeze bottle to irrigate your nasal passage with the solution
Note: Continue the process at least three times a day during the period of nasal blockage. Do not use cold water for this method and wash your irrigation device every time after the process gets done.
- Steam Inhalation: Steam Inhalation is a very effective to get rid of a stuffy nose. Inhaling steam in your nose helps to clear the nasal congestion.
- Step 1: Take a bowl of boiling water and mix one tablespoon of crushed Ajwain seeds with it.
- Step 2: Stand or sit in a position where your head can stay at least one hand-length away from the bowl and breathe slowly to inhale the steam through your nose.
Note: A person needs to do this method at least two to four times a day. You can also add few drops of peppermint essential oil into the solution. Make sure you kid is not applying this method. It also suggested not to use this method if you are pregnant or a patient of high blood pressure. If you are suffering from a weak nervous system or heart-related disorder, then you should not try this method.
- Take a warm Shower: This one is one of the best home remedies for a stuffy nose. Applying this method on your body will not lead you to face any pain, but it provides great relief. This process will make the mucus flow through your nasal passage.
- Step 1: Go to the bathroom and take a hot shower for several minutes.
- Step 2: Take heavy breaths in the vapor of your bathroom.
Note: Use this method at least twice a day. But do not apply it if you are suffering from fever also.
- Eucalyptus Oil: Due to the anti-inflammatory and decongestant properties that are present in eucalyptus oil, makes it easier clear the nasal congestion.
- Step 1: Take a well-washed handkerchief and put one or two drops of eucalyptus essential oil into it.
- Step 2: Breath the aroma.
Note: Repeat this process at least three to four times a day. You can also apply eucalyptus oil into your pillow, so you will be able to take the benefit of essential oil even when you are asleep.
- Black Pepper: Black Pepper is one of the best home remedies for a stuffy nose. It can help to deal with a stuffed nose and blocked sinuses.
- Step 1: Take a single black pepper in your hand and add two to three drops of sesame oil into it.
- Step 2: Use the finger of your other hand to dip in the mixture.
- Step 3: Now apply the mixture under your nose and take deep breaths of the strong aroma.
- Step 4: It will make you sneeze. Go with the flow, do not hold it.
Note: You can repeat the process as many time as needed.
- Fenugreek Tea: Fenugreek has the natural anti-inflammatory properties that help to treat the nasal blockage. Fenugreek tea produces moisture and heat in your body that helps thin the mucus membranes and then clear it.
- Step 1: Take a glass of water and two spoons of crushed Fenugreek seed.
- Step 2: Mix them together and boil the mixture.
- Step 3: Now drink the solution when it is hot.
Note: You can drink Fenugreek tea many times a day if you want to. But it is not suggested to apply this method if the patient is pregnant because of it restoratives the uterine contractions.
Quick ways to stop nasal congestion
- Blow your nose often
- Message vapor rubs on your chest
- Drink hot stuff such as Ayurveda tea, high protein soup, etc.
- Eat healthily and spicy foods
- Do not smoke cigarette or other tobacco-related stuff
- It is suggested not to drink alcohol during the nasal congestion
- Take steam bath
- Consider inhaling vapor
So these are the seven best remedies to get rid of a stuffy nose. Using any of this method will not cause any side effect. Applying this method are very easy so you can try any of these at home during the time of nasal congestion. However, if you are troubling with a stuffy nose for a long period of time, it is suggested to visit a doctor.